Norman White started Brookfield Veterinary Practice in 1970 as a mixed practice treating all species of animals. In 1985 it became a dedicated small animal practice. The practice has continued to expand and modernise with the addition of new facilities and latest equipment to enable us to meet the challenges of modern Veterinary medicine.
Those of you old enough will remember that the practice building was originally a public house called The Whalebone. The bar and public area was in the basement where our preparation room, operating theatre, x-ray room, laboratory and hospitalisation suite are now situated. The ground floor was the landlord's accommodation; this is now our reception, waiting room, consultation rooms and pharmacy.
Chris Darke joined the practice in January 2004, and became a partner in January 2005. Norman & Chris worked together for the following 3 years but at the beginning of 2008 Norman retired from the partnership & reduced his working hours until he left us in March 2010.
Victoria Darke joined the practice in 2004 & Chris in partnership in 2010
Our assistants are:
- Charles Brice who joined us in August 2016, and became a clinical director in 2020.
- Louise Howarth worked at Brookfield for nearly 4 years from 2012, she then moved away and had a daughter, 2017 she moved back to Hereford, and then started back at Brookfield.
- Kelly Manning joined in January 2018, bringing with her her experience and knowledge gained with her Certificate in Medicine
- Fran Brice joined the Ledbury team in 2020
In November 2016 Brookfield Veterinary Practice expanded with the acquisition of Argus Vets in Ledbury.
Eden Tanner the previous owner of Argus is still with us today.
2020 was a challenging year with floods in Hereford in February - meaning the basement had to be refurbished completely, this was closely followed by the COVID19 lockdown
Early 2021 we were lucky to welcome Daisy Newey to the vet team- who has a special interest erst in surgery. Then to add to the team we brought Natalie Cooper across from eastern England.
It’s exciting to be able to expand the team as our client and patient numbers grow.
August 2021 we were VERY pleased to be able to relocate our Ledbury branch to our new purpose built premises at the Nook on Hereford road. We are looking to add to our vet team again later this year.
The veterinary surgeons are supported by a team of nurses, student nurses, assistance and trainee nurses who visit us on placements. We then have a team of receptionists to welcome you all organised by our practice manager Lucy Soanes.
Tracy Haines RVN has fun of being branch manager in Ledbury.
We also have a number of visiting clinicians
- Alex Probert, - osteopath who treats animals
- Rata orthpoaedic surgeons who visit for more advanced skeletal issues
- Mark Patteson - veterinary cardiologist from Heart Vets